Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Being Movie-Wise

With the summer season upon us, there are movie opportunities galore. I am an avid movie theater participant....enjoying all the theater has to offer...which includes popcorn, large diet coke & sometimes candy. I pay a high price for my movie experience! I want to share with you some "movie-wise" tips before heading into the theater this summer.


  1. Pray~ I have a prayer from Windows of the Soul (written by Ken Gire) that I pray before I go to the theater. "Help me, O God. Whenever I go to a movie, not to go just for entertainment but also for enlightenment. Meet me there, I pray, and speak to me. Tell me something I need to know so I may live my life more graciously, more compassionately. Give me moments of transcendence so I can leave the theater in some way changed, even if it is a very small way. Speak to me through a character, a scene, a line of dialogue, a musical score. Thank you for those moments at the movies that have touched my heart. And for the fact that there is no place on earth that some echo of Your voice cannot be heard for the one who is listening..."

  2. Main Character(s)~ What is he/she like? What are the qualities of the main character? Does he/she change throughout the movie? What helps to make the changes happen through the movie (a circumstance, another character, etc.)? Can you relate to any of the characters? Who would you say you are like? Have you struggled with any of the same issues that the main character struggled with in the movie?

  3. Theme~ Is there a theme to the movie? Courage, honesty, boldness, love, growth, perseverance, integrity, friendship, gentleness~ anything you can relate to your relationship with the Lord (fruit of the Spirit, spiritual battle, God's redeeming love, etc) or with others (faithfulness & loyalty to another, commitment)?

  4. Signs~ Are there repeating signs throughout the movie that give you clues to the theme? Ex. In "Prince Caspian" there are lions everywhere! Can you see a recurring object or line spoken?

  5. Quotes~ Do any of the characters say something that jumps out at you? Does the Lord use any of the dialogue to speak to your heart?

These are 5 keys that unlock the doors of understanding when I attend a movie. God knows the language of your heart and He is always speaking. Let the imagination of the big screen, with all the images and storylines connect you to God the Father, the Son Jesus or the Holy Spirit. I always carry index cards with me, so if a theme or a quote or character really tugs at my heart, I can write it down quickly (with the light of my cell phone).


This Friday, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 opens and I will be at the first showing in the afternoon, armed with index cards and a heart open to receive all that God wants to show me. The next time you head out to the theater, be "movie-wise".

No comments: