Monday, July 25, 2011

We All Need a Barnabus

I spent the weekend with my "Barnabus". In the previous blog, I shared about a man named Barnabus, who is introduced in the book of Acts. With every mention of his name, the Bible speaks something of his encouragement of others. He is Mr. Encouragement, in fact his name means "son of encouragement".



Susie is my Barnabus. She is Mrs. Encouragement, "daughter of encouragement". We have been dear friends from the moment I met her 13+ years ago. I treasure our times together and count them like gold to my spirit and soul. There is no mask I have to wear~ to pretend things are ok when they are not. I am able to be open and honest about hurts or wounds or trials I am going through. This weekend, it was good to be with my encourager....to share what's on my heart and know that I am in a "no judgment zone" and to listen to her words that bring life, not death to my situation and my heart.








How do you know if you have been "touched" by an encourager?






  • Encouragers lift you up, not bring you down. When you leave their presence, you feel like you can do anything!





  • Encouragers, even in silence, lift you up.





  • Encouragers believe in you, even if no one else does.





  • Encouragers support you, not criticizes.





  • Encouragers see the potential in you when others may see the problems.





  • Encouragers believe in you.





  • Encouragers put words into actions; they are not just lip service.





  • Encouragers' words fan the flames of your spirit.





  • Encouragers challenge you~ to be better, stronger, more holy; living a great life of faith.





  • Encouragers care for you~ with words, affirmation, prayer & action.





  • Encouragers live in the "no judgment zone".





  • Encouragers always see the glass half full, not half empty!





  • Encouragers smile MUCH! They bring joy to your life.
When you have been with an encourager, you will probably think: I want to be more like that! We all need a Barnabus. I am so very thankful for my "Barnabus".

No comments: